30, Pregnant and Diagnosed with Breast Cancer

Welcome to the Oesch Family Blog. This blog will allow you to follow along as our family grows, we tackle my breast cancer and live life to its fullest.



Sunday, April 3, 2011

The Tortoise and the Hare

Everyone knows the story of The Tortoise and the Hare. Slow and steady, with a positive attitude and you will win the race!

Well, I have needed to reteach myself this lesson on many counts this week:
  1. Hair (and I mean "hair" and not "hare")- The hair on my head is slowly but surely growing back. It continues to thicken all over and is about the length of most men's short professional haircuts. When we shaved my head this Fall I thought that was going to be the worst part of the physical aspects of my journey, but now I know it is patiently awaiting for it to grow long enough for a cut and style.  My eyebrows and eyelashes have decided to thin and fall out. I am about 6 weeks out of the chemo drug that had this side effect however Dr. Lyss warned me that even though the chemo is out of my system the side effects can linger for a few months. Slow and steady...1/2" of growth a month for the hair on my head and Latisse(R) for the eyelashes if needed.
  2. Physical and Occupational Therapy- I have completed my consults for both and begin therapy sessions this week. I received 2 physical therapy exercises to do at home. It is amazing how quickly the lymphatic system basically shut down in my left arm. By removing the lymphnodes under my armpit it was like turning off the pump for the fluid in my arm and with limiting my arm movements for the couple weeks after surgery, some of that fluid hardened to scar tissue. Therefore, thereapy will work to break that down (ouch!) and begin to help regain the loss of range of motion in my elbow and shoulder. Slow and steady...my left arm will be back to bending in no time.
  3. Working out- I have been released for the next 6 months by my surgeon and PT and OT have released me to begin my exercise routine again. However, the next time I visit the gym I will be sporting a lovely compression sleeve. Thank goodness, the NCAA Tournament players have recently decided to make these a fashion statement. Slow and steady...back to the treadmill, stairmaster, and Zumba.
  4. Radiation- I begin radiation treatments on Monday. I went for my consult and CAT scan this past week to map out my exact plan and location for my radiation. I even received my tatoo marking (to make sure my body is centered evertime for the radiation machine). Slow and steady...33 daily treatments will pass in no time!
Slow and steady, with a positive attitude and I WILL win this race!

Jenna

2 comments:

  1. thanks for continuing to share what you're going through. keep your chin up! you have made great progress and you will stride through this as well! in 33 days the weather will be extra nice for you too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenna - can I just say again that you are AMAZING!!! You are an inspiration to so many people. Your positive attitude and energy never cease to amaze me. I'm so glad you're almost finished with this part of your life and you can move on and enjoy that beautiful baby! And let's do dinner sometime soon, ok?!

    ReplyDelete