30, Pregnant and Diagnosed with Breast Cancer

Welcome to the Oesch Family Blog. This blog will allow you to follow along as our family grows, we tackle my breast cancer and live life to its fullest.



Monday, January 24, 2011

Emma's Second Week in the NICU

Emma-
I sit here crying as I write this to you. I love you so much and you continue to amaze me with your go get em attitude and strength to conquer what is ahead of you. I had a difficult start to the week as Daddy went back to work so he can take more time when you come home. It was hard to be at the hospital during the day by myself but there isn't any other place I wanted to be. With so much time to think, I started to blame myself. I blamed myself for the fact that you were in the NICU because without my chemotherapy drugs you most likely would have made it closer to full term allowing you all the full advantages of development. You, at only 2 weeks old, have inspired me to keep my positive attitude and spirit and continue to fight for the both of us. I promise to always love, nurture, and take care of you.

You have been in the NICU now for 2 weeks and you have overcome some great obstacles. I have to keep reminding myself that you are only 35 weeks gestational age and you are doing things outside the womb that you shouldn't have to be doing yet.

You have been breathing on your own since you were born. Your lungs needed a bit of help with some steroids and a CPAP machine but you have been powering them alone this entire time. You have taught yourself how to suck from a bottle while swallowing and breathing and have gone from taking 3 cc's of formula to 60 cc's in 2 weeks (this is 2 oz). You have been able to gain some weight which in turn has allowed your body to grow, continue to develop and help regulate your own body temperature. You were born at 3 lbs 12 oz and now weigh 4 lbs 6 oz.

Here are some of my favorite moments from the week:
  1. You moved into a big girl crib because you were ready to regulate your own body temperature
  2. Continuing Kangaroo Care ("snuggle time" as I call it) while signing to you and you holding my finger
  3. Finalizing the finishing touches on your nursery with Daddy so it is ready for you when you come home
  4. Giving you your massages I learned from PT
  5. Bringing in your Preemie outfits to dress you in at the hospital
  6. Celebrating your 2 week old birthday
  7. Giving you your first bath
Here are some pictures:
Coming out of your isolette

Your big girl crib

Eskimo kisses from Daddy

Showing Mom and Dad how to swaddle you


Little piggies

Little fingers

2 weeks old today! (35 weeks gestational)

So alert right before your feedings

Using a big girl bottle

Mommy, Emma and Daddy- you are 15 days old



On Sunday night, you passed your car seat test and have crossed off another item on the checklist to get you ready to come home. In discussions with your neonatologist yesterday, she is hoping for a Wednesday Homecoming! Mommy and Daddy are so proud of you and can't wait to bring you home!

I love you, Emma!
Mommy

2 comments:

  1. Yay! Congrats on all the progress! Emma is doing so well! I had the chance to meet her the other day, when we stopped by to see Reese and Whit. She's got friends in the NICU now! She is so beautiful, Jenna. Fingers crossed for a homecoming this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is so precious! Congrats to you and Rett. It sounds like Baby Emma has her mother's determination. :)

    ReplyDelete